Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christ Has Been There Before


“The road is too rough,” I said. "My Lord,
there are stones that hurt me so.”
He softly answered, “Dear child, I understand;
I walked it long ago”.

“But there’s a cool green path,” I said;
“Let me walk there for a time.”
“No child,” He gently answered me,
“The green road does not climb.”

“My burden,” I said, “Is far too great;
how can I bear it so?”
“My child,” said He, “I know its weight –
I carried my cross you know.”

“But,” I said, “If there were friends
who would make my way their own.”
“Aw yes,” He said, “Gethsemane
was hard to face alone!”

And so I climbed the stony path,
Content at least to know
That where my Master had not gone
I would not need to go.

And strangely then I found new friends.
The burdens grew less sore.
As I remembered, long ago –
He went that way before.

Leone Bays Gates

No comments: